HOME

Furious pensioners call on licence fee payers to boycott BBC

페이지 정보

작성자 Chelsea 댓글 0건 조회 17회 작성일 24-06-17 06:44

본문

More than 240,000 people have signed a petition opposing the BBC's 'shameful' decision to scrap free TV licences for 3.7million over-75s, as a devastated pensioner said it would sever a 'vital lifeline for millions like me'. 

As hashtags like '#axethetax' spread on Twitter, Age UK petition 'save free TV for older people' racked up more than 240,000 signatures by 11.30pm, while a similar one on the UK Parliament website got upwards of 41,000. 

Meanwhile, more than 115,000 have also taken to the Parliament site to call for the license fee to be abolished altogether - meaning the issue will now be considered for a debate in the Commons. 

As some called for a BBC boycott, pensioners shared their stories about the impact of the cut, with Susanna Reid fighting back tears on Good Morning Britain as an elderly woman begged her to stop the BBC snatching away her main source of entertainment.

Another pensioner, David, 84, said there were 'millions like me' who would suffer because of the move. 

'The TV is a vital lifeline for me… and I'm not alone, 통신연체자인터넷가입 there are millions of us who are in exactly the same situation,' he said. ‘If the TV was withdrawn they would vegetate. That's a very serious situation and it puts a very great cost on the NHS. That's what they need to think through.' 

Attendees at the National Pensioners' Convention in Blackpool today protested the BBC's decision  to abolish free licence fees for millions of over-75s

The move to means test licence fees for the over-75s sparked fury on social media, with many branding the move a 'disgrace'

David, 84, said there were 'millions like me' who would suffer because of the move

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.